This past Saturday Five Star Auto Center had the honor to be a sponsor and a part of the Rocklin Chamber of Commerce’s 24th Annual Hot Chili Cool Cars event in our local community. Five Star’s owner, Jim Sperlazza, and our general manager, Kieran Griffin were both judges for events. It was a fun, amazing day and we are already looking forward to the event next year! If you did not attend, we highly recommend getting your friends together and going next year for delicious chili and to view cool cars.
Keep reading for our recap of events and special highlights….
5 City Blocks of FUN!
When we say there were 5 blocks of fun, we mean it! Pacific Street was closed for a good portion of the day from Rocklin Road to Midas Avenue. For only $10 you could taste all the chili you wanted and look at the classic cars while strolling down the street. Plus, there was live music and a kid zone! All the local Rocklin businesses (including us!) were present with individual booths too. Who knew Rocklin could be so fun?!
Whitney High School Marching Band
Great job to our local Whitney High School Marching Band students! It was a joy to see all of you marching down Pacific Street and showing off your unbelievable talents. People were cheering, kids were clapping, music was flowing… It was a wonderful scene on a beautiful, sunny day!
Chili Cook Off
Five Star’s GM Kieran was asked to judge the chili contest this year. Lucky guy! Who wouldn’t want to be the ultimate taste tester of spicy, meaty and flavorful chili?! Tasting for the public and judging began at 10 AM, and although a little early for lunch, people loved having chili for brunch!
The winners of the chili cook off were:
- BEST CHILI: #7 = Cramer & Associates CPA Firm
- BEST CHILI RUNNER-UP: #2 = Rocklin Transmission
- PEOPLE’S CHOICE: #8 = Spring Valley Church
- HOTTEST CHILI: #7 = Cramer & Associates
- MOST UNIQUE: #1 = Floor & Decor
- FIRE CHOICE: #3 = Big Valley Mortgage
- POLICE CHOICE: #13 = JD’s Bakery & Cafe
Five Star’s owner, Jim Sperlazza, was asked to judge the car show this year. As a true car fanatic, Jim was perfect for this job! The car show took place in the afternoon, so with bellies full from chili the crowd loved walking around and seeing all the cool cars. There were many ooo’s and ahh’s heard in the streets!
Some of the top winners of the car show were:
- BEST IN SHOW: #152 – 1932 Ford 3 Window Coupe – Black/Flames; Roger Richardson
- BEST IN SHOW RUNNER-UP: #117 – 1970 Buick GS455 – Gray; Brad Shirhall
- CAR OWNER’S CHOICE: #149 – 1934 Plymouth Coupe – Silver; Cecil Pierce
- MOST UNIQUE: #174 – 1923 Ford T-Bucket – Green; Ronald Dixon
- BEST TRUCK: #58 – 1934 Ford Pick Up – Vanilla; Marvin Hassenplug
- BEST RESTORED: #21 – 1956 Chevy Corvette – Blue; Ron Butler
- BEST HOT ROD: #73 – 1934 Chevy – Red; Richard Kooser
If you couldn’t tell already, we LOVED this event! Saturday was lots of fun and it was great for the Five Star team to be able to give back and interact with the community! If you would like more details and highlights, check out Hot Chili Cool Cars’ Facebook page.